If you purchase an independently reviewed product or service through a link on our website, we may receive an affiliate commission.
Millions of people these days are cutting the cord by ditching pay TV, and the reason is beyond obvious. We’ve got one word for you: money People are fed up with how much cable companies have been charging for pay TV all these years, especially when you’re forced to pay for dozens or even hundreds of channels that you never watch. Imagine you found out half of your monthly bill for cell phone service was due to the high cost of calls to Guam, yet you don’t personally make any calls to Guam at all.
With all the money cable companies are losing due to cord-cutting, the last thing your cable company wants is for us to tell you about an easy way to save even more money on your monthly bill. That’s not going to stop us though, so get ready to start saving some cash!
Do you use a cable modem that was given to you by your internet service provider? If so, you’re probably paying a monthly rental fee for that modem. You might not even realize it, but take a look at your most recent bill, you’ll probably see an $8 or $10 charge on there for the modem.
That adds up to either $96 or $120 each year that you’re spending unnecessarily because cable companies are now required to let you use your own cable modem. And once you get your own modem, that monthly rental fee will disappear from your bill as soon as you send your old modem back to your cable company.
As far as which modem you should choose, there are a bunch of popular options out there that work with every single major cable internet provider like Comcast/Xfinity, Charter/Time Warner Cable/Spectrum, Optimum/Altice, RCN, Cox, CenturyLink, and more.
People who are looking to spend as little as possible should check out the Motorola MB7420 cable modem. It’s a best-seller that’s down to just $92.71 right now at Amazon. It supports data speeds up to 686Mbps and is recommended for people with data speed tiers up to 300Mbps. If you want something faster, you’ll find the 2Gbps ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 on sale for $202.65, and the Motorola MG7700 cable modem & Wi-Fi router with gigabit internet support is perfect for anyone looking for a unit that has Wi-Fi as well. This way, you won’t need to use a separate wireless router if you don’t want to. The MG770 retails for $254, but it’s on sale right now for $227.09.
Each and every one of these modems will eventually pay for itself since you’ll eliminate that monthly modem rental fee on your bill. With that in mind… what are you waiting for?!
Motorola MB7420 cable modem – $92.71
- This 16×4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem provides speeds up to 686 Mbps, sixteen times faster than DOCSIS 2.0. A Full-Band Capture digital tuner ensures a faster, more reliable Internet.
- Requires cable Internet service. Certified by Comcast XFINITY for residential speeds up to Extreme 300, by Comcast Business for speeds up to Deluxe 250, Time Warner Cable, Cox, Charter Spectrum, BrightHouse, and other leading cable service providers for modem ownership programs that typically save rental charges of $120 or more per year
- Setup is fast and easy with a few quick steps set out in a Quick Start guide. Experienced USA-based customer support specialists are there to help if you need them.
- Attractive, compact design minimizes shelf space, improves cooling, and extends product life while looking great in any home or office. A two-year warranty plus rugged lightning and power surge circuits protect your investment.
ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 cable modem – $202.65
- DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem best for cable internet speed plans up to 2 Gbps. Note, a 2nd IP address is required from your cable internet provider to reach 2 Gbps.
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS 3 0 bonded channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream OFDM DOCSIS 3 1 channels
- Two 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports capable of link aggregation
ARRIS Surfboard Docsis 3.1 Gigabit Speed Cable Modem, Approved for Cox, Spectrum and Xfinity, (… List Price:$209.14 Price:$149.00 You Save:$60.14 (29%) Available from Amazon, BGR may receive a commission
Motorola MG7700 cable modem & Wi-Fi router – $227.09
- Fast 24×8 DOCSIS 3.0 cable Modem Plus a built-in AC1900 Dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) Wi-Fi Gigabit Router with four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, power boost Wi-Fi amplifiers, firewall security, and more. The maximum modem speed is 1000 Mbps, supporting service speeds up to 650.
- Eliminate up to $156 per year in cable modem rental fees. (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by a cable service provider.) certified by all leading cable service providers including Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Charter spectrum (no cable Modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
- Built-in high-speed router with AC1900 wireless and Power boost – Provides internet access for Wi-Fi devices including smartphones, notebooks, tablets, and more. Four 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports provide wired connections to Windows and Mac computers and other Ethernet-capable devices. A Broadcom cable Modem Chipset provides security from denial of service attacks.
Follow @BGRDeals on Twitter to keep up with the latest and greatest deals we find around the web. Prices subject to change without notice and any coupons mentioned above may be available in limited supply.